Dog Behaviour
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Back online
Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:47 pm by Jamesp

» Prey drive...help
Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho EmptyThu May 20, 2010 1:59 am by Kevin Behan

» Would appreciate your views on this
Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:53 pm by Kevin Behan

» The prey takes control?
Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho EmptyTue May 18, 2010 2:35 pm by Kevin Behan

» over excitment
Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho EmptyFri May 14, 2010 9:09 pm by Jamesp

» some piccies of my dogs
Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho EmptyFri May 14, 2010 5:33 pm by Jamesp

» Hello....I love you.....
Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:39 pm by gbjoce

» Police find nine-year-old girl's stolen pet puppy... but say she can't have it back
Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:37 pm by gbjoce

» Achieving calmness at dinner time
Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho EmptyThu May 06, 2010 9:55 pm by Jamesp

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho

2 posters

Go down

Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho Empty Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho

Post by Jamesp Mon May 03, 2010 1:29 am

Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho - but he has only ten days before they are taken off the state's endangered species list.

This was shown on ITV in the UK tonight (I missed it), it will be shown again on ITV4 on the 7th May at 8pm and on ITV 9th May at 2.45 pm

It can also been seen on ITV player on their website, at the moment its not working and says technical error and to try again later....

Link here..... http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=141677
Jamesp
Jamesp
Admin

http://dog-behaviour.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho Empty Re: Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho

Post by Jamesp Mon May 03, 2010 9:43 pm

Just watched this.....

Oh dear, it defies all logic to spend 15 years to successfully re-introduce wolves and then to declare open hunting season on them.

Even before the hunting season was open Ray Mears and his crew found a dead wolf that was most likely poisoned by people leaving an Elk carcass laced with something nasty nearby a den sight.....

I can only assume the other wolf feeding on the carcass survived as he was most likely regurgitating food for the alpha female and pups in the den, which means most likely they all died as a result.....

I was a little suspicious that Ray was able to find the wolves so quickly, my suspicions were confirmed when one of the wolves had a radio collar on......so my guess is all the tracking stuff he did was just for the cameras.....

Ray left as the hunting season began in Idaho, does anyone know what happened to the wolves and what their numbers (was 800 ish) are now?
Jamesp
Jamesp
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho Empty Re: Ray Mears tracks a pack of wolves in the magnificent Sawtooth mountains of Idaho

Post by wolfdog Tue May 04, 2010 6:35 pm

Jamesp wrote:Just watched this.....

Oh dear, it defies all logic to spend 15 years to successfully re-introduce wolves and then to declare open hunting season on them.

Even before the hunting season was open Ray Mears and his crew found a dead wolf that was most likely poisoned by people leaving an Elk carcass laced with something nasty nearby a den sight.....

I can only assume the other wolf feeding on the carcass survived as he was most likely regurgitating food for the alpha female and pups in the den, which means most likely they all died as a result.....

I was a little suspicious that Ray was able to find the wolves so quickly, my suspicions were confirmed when one of the wolves had a radio collar on......so my guess is all the tracking stuff he did was just for the cameras.....

Ray left as the hunting season began in Idaho, does anyone know what happened to the wolves and what their numbers (was 800 ish) are now?
Sorry I missed this program -as usual I can't get i-player so will wait for a repeat!

There has been some suggestion that radio collars are used by hunters to locate packs of wolves and indeed a new report seems to back this up, suggesting a higher mortality rate amongst wolves with collars. Some hunting web sites also give information on how to search using collar frequencies. These radio frequencies are, I believe, in the public domain so it is quite easy and relatively inexpensive to use this method.

As Ray Mears was in the park he would have had plenty of help to put him on the right track to search for wolves, thats the magic of TV combined with the 'wildness' of Yellowstone. However as a TV presenter he seems to have a genuine liking for wolves and his shows are always a pleasure.
wolfdog
wolfdog

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamesp Tue May 04, 2010 7:32 pm

I agree I like Ray Mears also and it seemed genuine and sincere that he was almost reduced to tears regarding the wolves plight.

I know a bit about electronics, it would be very simple to track collared wolves, just a simple aerial and receiving device that was capable of picking up the frequency range, be it amplitude or frequency modulation, most radios would work as a receiving device, you just take a reading when you hear a beep and by pointing the radio in a certain direction you can work out roughly where the beep came from, mark it on a map, wait for another beep and repeat and then after so many beeps you can know the virtual exact location......amateur radio enthusiasts used to do a similar thing years ago and look for someone transmitting a beep and a prize was won whoever found them first using the above technique.....its very similar to how 'hawk-eye' works that you see at sports venues like tennis.....

I assume you saw the times and dates of the repeats in my opening post.....
Jamesp
Jamesp
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down