Dog Behaviour
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Back online
A New Job with dogs EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:47 pm by Jamesp

» Prey drive...help
A New Job with dogs EmptyThu May 20, 2010 1:59 am by Kevin Behan

» Would appreciate your views on this
A New Job with dogs EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:53 pm by Kevin Behan

» The prey takes control?
A New Job with dogs EmptyTue May 18, 2010 2:35 pm by Kevin Behan

» over excitment
A New Job with dogs EmptyFri May 14, 2010 9:09 pm by Jamesp

» some piccies of my dogs
A New Job with dogs EmptyFri May 14, 2010 5:33 pm by Jamesp

» Hello....I love you.....
A New Job with dogs EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:39 pm by gbjoce

» Police find nine-year-old girl's stolen pet puppy... but say she can't have it back
A New Job with dogs EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:37 pm by gbjoce

» Achieving calmness at dinner time
A New Job with dogs EmptyThu May 06, 2010 9:55 pm by Jamesp

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

A New Job with dogs

3 posters

Go down

A New Job with dogs Empty A New Job with dogs

Post by Tracii Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Not sure if this is the right section, please feel free to move it if not.

I've recently been made redundant, so I've been looking at new jobs. I have applied to a local lady who runs our area 'Dial a dog wash'. Thought it might be interesting. This got me to thinking how do you approach a dog you've never met before, completely soak it, clip it and blow dry it????? For those who have not heard of 'Dial a dog wash', you call them to your home and they wash and clip your dog on your drive in their big fully equipped heated van. Dog owners can be present if they want.
I know from my 2 utes, Anoushka loves water and will 9 times out of 10 just stand there and let you give her a good wash. Tokota on the other hand howls and cries as if your trying to kill him the whole time unless you wash him out side on the patio and then he behaves himself......a little!
I know if you meet a strange dog you give it space with no touching or direct eye contact. Building trust with a dog could take a long time, so how do these people do it? This could be for any job that involves seeing an animal for a short time that has no ties to you. How would you all approach it? any ideas?

Tracii

Back to top Go down

A New Job with dogs Empty Re: A New Job with dogs

Post by Jamesp Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:48 pm

I would just remain calm, let the dog sniff you to get to know you first, dont let any nervousness or apprehensions of how a dog might react enter your mind, just be confident of what you are doing as if it is just a normal everyday occurrence....

If this lady is one of the decent types of groomers then she will quickly show you the ropes I am sure, if shes the type that try to be dominant with a dog then you may find a different story.....

My dog is not that keen on water, we used to take him to a groomer that the people there also bred fox terriers.....and go to dog shows etc.....it was only after a few times that I realised that every time my dog came back he would be 'off' with me for a day or two, so I asked the groomer if there had been any problems, the lady owner gave me short shrift and said my dog is a nightmare to wash and it takes 3 of them to 'pin' him down to do it....a small Westie.....unbelievable I thought!.....on closer inspection I also noticed my dog had 'nick' marks all over him where they had been too aggressive with the stripping comb.....

The lady is a typical 'dominant' sort and that in my view is why my Westie 'acted' up.....

We now take him to a different groomer who is a lovely lady, calm relaxed sort and she can wash my dog with no problem....and he comes back injury free......

Good luck with it if you take the job and let us know how it goes......
Jamesp
Jamesp
Admin

http://dog-behaviour.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Tawneywolf Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:30 pm

Sounds brilliant Tracey, if you are ever in the Bolton area book my 2 in for a quick wash and blow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Tawneywolf
Tawneywolf

http://www.donehogawa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracii Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:41 am

Lol, thanks James, June.
Well I've had a telephone interview and an interview in a pub, lol. So just gotta wait and see, although she did drop out that one interviewee has grooming experience already, whereas I haven't, so not really expecting another call. But we shall wait and see!
Very Happy

Tracii

Back to top Go down

Post by Tawneywolf Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:40 pm

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Tracey, sounds a lovely job and I hope you get it Very Happy
Tawneywolf
Tawneywolf

http://www.donehogawa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum