Dog Behaviour
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Back online
WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:47 pm by Jamesp

» Prey drive...help
WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included EmptyThu May 20, 2010 1:59 am by Kevin Behan

» Would appreciate your views on this
WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:53 pm by Kevin Behan

» The prey takes control?
WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included EmptyTue May 18, 2010 2:35 pm by Kevin Behan

» over excitment
WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included EmptyFri May 14, 2010 9:09 pm by Jamesp

» some piccies of my dogs
WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included EmptyFri May 14, 2010 5:33 pm by Jamesp

» Hello....I love you.....
WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:39 pm by gbjoce

» Police find nine-year-old girl's stolen pet puppy... but say she can't have it back
WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:37 pm by gbjoce

» Achieving calmness at dinner time
WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included EmptyThu May 06, 2010 9:55 pm by Jamesp

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included

2 posters

Go down

WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included Empty WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included

Post by Jamesp Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:33 pm

It made my day today to come across a healthy looking Bulldog, the ones I have seen in the past have had major health problems due to poor breeding practices, including breathing problems that have meant they can only go on a short walk (sometimes 5 mins), can't run and on hot days have to stay still in a cool place indoors or they would suffocate...

As you will see in the pictures below this Bulldog is much leaner than most and hasn't got the squashed up face or loads of wrinkles that some have....this Bulldog can go on long walks, run and be in hot weather just like most other dogs.....it was great to see!!!

This Bulldog is 5 years old, not neutered (entire) and is totally non aggressive according to the owner, I was told that in fact the Bulldog always submits to other dogs that show 'dominance' and has been attacked by a Golden Retriever and Labrador which on both occasions the Bulldog needed a visit to the vet due to his injuries, at no point did the Bulldog fight back and even now shows no aggression or fear to any dog it encounters....

To me the Bulldog was very chilled and relaxed, however is an opposing figure trotting along when you see him approach, earlier when I was having a chat with an owner of a Cocker Spaniel a young woman came along with her small terrier off lead and it came to say 'hello' to our dogs....as we both had soft breeds the young woman was calm and relaxed and just got her dog to move on, however when I was walking along with the Bulldog and its owner we came across this young woman again, this time it was a different story, just from the sight of the Bulldog she freaked out and picked her small terrier up and held it in her arms close to her chest to 'protect' it from the Bulldog.....the Bulldog did nothing whatsoever and just trotted past as if nothing had happened, he never went up to the woman or her dog and the fact that the woman freaked out just showed me how balanced this Bulldog is as he just ignored her and trotted on by as if nothing had happened....

When I took the pictures below the Bulldog came over to me to investigate the camera and as he did my dog growled at him not to come any closer (not my dogs normal behaviour, but he probably knew I wasn't focusing as usual as my thoughts were elsewhere...ie taking the pictures) the Bulldog just stopped approaching and remained calm and my dog immediately relaxed once more.....which to me just showed more balanced behaviour on the Bulldogs behalf.....It was a joy to meet him.....

Hope you enjoy the pictures below, notice how lean he is and not so many wrinkles or squashed up face so he can breathe....

WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included Bulldo10

WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included Bulldo11

WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included Bulldo12
Jamesp
Jamesp
Admin

http://dog-behaviour.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included Empty Re: WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included

Post by Tawneywolf Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Is he a Victorian Bulldog by any chance?? I do know that a group of enthusiasts were so disgusted by what was going on within the breed that they bred a different 'type' ie., the old fashioned type, I think there is another type being bred as well called the the Old English Bulldog.
I have heard that since the new rulings by the KC that the breeders of the standard bulldog are now going to the Victorian Bulldog breeders for help, not so long ago they were ridiculing them and refusing to have anything to do with them!!!!
Tawneywolf
Tawneywolf

http://www.donehogawa.com

Back to top Go down

WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included Empty Re: WOW!...Today I came across a healthy looking Bulldog...Pictures included

Post by Jamesp Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:55 pm

I dont know June, I will ask if I see the owner again....

He is 5 years old so well before the programme on the BBC showing the poor breeding practices in the UK.

He would seem to fit the Victorian type though, I once saw an old photo of an actual Victorian Bulldog from the 19th century, it was very much leaner looking and almost looked more like a Boxer than a Bulldog, when this Bulldog was approaching me I actually thought he was a large Boxer from distance, it was only when he got closer I realised it was a Bulldog.....
Jamesp
Jamesp
Admin

http://dog-behaviour.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Tawneywolf Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:19 pm

The Victorian Bulldog has been around for a number of years now. but it is only with the new attitude from the KC through the programme that this type of bulldog is now being recognised as a step in the right direction, prior to this the breeders of this type were villified.
Tawneywolf
Tawneywolf

http://www.donehogawa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum