Dog Behaviour
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Back online
Gun Dogs...... EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:47 pm by Jamesp

» Prey drive...help
Gun Dogs...... EmptyThu May 20, 2010 1:59 am by Kevin Behan

» Would appreciate your views on this
Gun Dogs...... EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:53 pm by Kevin Behan

» The prey takes control?
Gun Dogs...... EmptyTue May 18, 2010 2:35 pm by Kevin Behan

» over excitment
Gun Dogs...... EmptyFri May 14, 2010 9:09 pm by Jamesp

» some piccies of my dogs
Gun Dogs...... EmptyFri May 14, 2010 5:33 pm by Jamesp

» Hello....I love you.....
Gun Dogs...... EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:39 pm by gbjoce

» Police find nine-year-old girl's stolen pet puppy... but say she can't have it back
Gun Dogs...... EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:37 pm by gbjoce

» Achieving calmness at dinner time
Gun Dogs...... EmptyThu May 06, 2010 9:55 pm by Jamesp

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gun Dogs......

Go down

Gun Dogs...... Empty Gun Dogs......

Post by Jamesp Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:10 pm

While out on a walk came across a pheasant shoot, not my thing but guess its not too bad if the pheasants are used for food.

Anyway I stayed and watched for 30 mins until the drive was finished and they move on to the next drive, mainly so I could observe the dogs....

There were about 20 dogs of mixed breeds, springer spaniels, cocker spaniels, black labs and others.....

What struck me was that the humans weren't giving directions / commands to the dogs, they just seemed to know what to do, while everyone was quiet waiting for a pheasant to appear they just sat there fully focused apart from the dogs sent in with the beaters to flush out the pheasants....

There was no fighting or squabbling over a pheasant, whichever dog got there first 'owned' the pheasant.

Until the drive was over the dogs didnt make a sound....not one bark or whimper of excitement.

When the drive finished most dogs went into woods to find any injured birds....

While it may not be everyones cup of tea, I doubt there are many instances when 20 dogs all off lead from various owners get on so well.

One thing Shaun Ellis installed on me that people with multiple dogs will have better chances of them getting on if each dog has a defined 'job' or role within the pack.....

This is what I observed today....

Also it was almost like two predators working together.....a throwback to the days perhaps when we first used wolves to help us to hunt....

I know in reality the humans were mainly rich toffs as it costs £40,000 a season to go pheasant shooting around here.....
Jamesp
Jamesp
Admin

http://dog-behaviour.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum