Dog Behaviour
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Back online
Is this agressive behaviour?? EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:47 pm by Jamesp

» Prey drive...help
Is this agressive behaviour?? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 1:59 am by Kevin Behan

» Would appreciate your views on this
Is this agressive behaviour?? EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:53 pm by Kevin Behan

» The prey takes control?
Is this agressive behaviour?? EmptyTue May 18, 2010 2:35 pm by Kevin Behan

» over excitment
Is this agressive behaviour?? EmptyFri May 14, 2010 9:09 pm by Jamesp

» some piccies of my dogs
Is this agressive behaviour?? EmptyFri May 14, 2010 5:33 pm by Jamesp

» Hello....I love you.....
Is this agressive behaviour?? EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:39 pm by gbjoce

» Police find nine-year-old girl's stolen pet puppy... but say she can't have it back
Is this agressive behaviour?? EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:37 pm by gbjoce

» Achieving calmness at dinner time
Is this agressive behaviour?? EmptyThu May 06, 2010 9:55 pm by Jamesp

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Is this agressive behaviour??

2 posters

Go down

Is this agressive behaviour?? Empty Is this agressive behaviour??

Post by DixieLou Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Something very strange and out of character happened today....

Brother in law, his girlfriend and their 2 year old son called round to drop Easter eggs off for the kids. They've never seen the pup before, and when they came in he was in his bed eating a pigs ear. Brother in law went straight over to see Raiden, while his girlfriend and their son just completely ignored him. As soon as brother in law got near to the bed, Raiden gave a very low growl, so brother in law backed off and went to sit down. I went straight over to Raiden as soon as he growled and told him off and took the pigs ear away.

He has never ever done anything like this before. Me, husband and the kids (who are only little, eldest is 4) can take anything off him, and frequently do. My parents can also take food and toys from him without him batting an eyelid!!

Why do you think he did this? Is it because he didn't know brother in law and thought he was going to take the pigs ear from him? What could I have done to prevent it? Have to say, he wouldn't go anywhere near brother in law the whole time he was here, but did go to see his girlfriend and their son and was really gentle with them.

Thanks for reading if you got this far..... Didn't expect it to be such a long post, lol.

DixieLou

Back to top Go down

Is this agressive behaviour?? Empty Re: Is this agressive behaviour??

Post by Jamesp Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:52 pm

This is a classic case of two things,

1) Always let a dog you dont know come and see you first and let them sniff you for a while and do not disturb this process by stroking or talking to them, once they have sniffed you they will know all about you.

2) He is defending the pigs ear as he doesn't know your brother in law

To me he did nothing wrong and was being told off just for defending his food from a stranger, my suggestion would be that you instruct new people that come in the house to ignore him and let him get to know them first.

The brother in law has lost his trust from the start, if he follows what I said the next time he comes then after a visit or 2 your dog will be fine with him as long as the brother in law is not scared or him or gets too excited or macho and just remains calm.
Jamesp
Jamesp
Admin

http://dog-behaviour.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamesp Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:59 pm

To add.....

In answers to your question, no it isn't aggression as such, but communication.

It was the humans that made the mistake here not the dog, albeit I know unintentionally.

Its the only way we learn from our mistakes, so your not alone and its really not a big issue in my view.
Jamesp
Jamesp
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DixieLou Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:02 pm

I did wonder as Raiden was fine with the others who just completely ignored him when they came in. I feel bad now as I shouldn't have told him off for the growl but it completely took me by surprise and I didn't want him getting the idea that it was acceptable to growl over food. Will have to make it up to him with a nice juicy bone I think....

Thanks for your suggestion, I will definately tell strangers to ignore him in the future until he comes to them.

DixieLou

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamesp Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Dont feel bad, you just made a mistake thats all, we have all done it....

Raiden would have let it go by now as you saw he was fine with the others as they let him get to know them first....so you can see the difference!

I'm sure he will love a nice juicy bone, if it makes you feel better as well....all is good.....
Jamesp
Jamesp
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum