Dog Behaviour
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Back online
Patricia McConnell EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:47 pm by Jamesp

» Prey drive...help
Patricia McConnell EmptyThu May 20, 2010 1:59 am by Kevin Behan

» Would appreciate your views on this
Patricia McConnell EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:53 pm by Kevin Behan

» The prey takes control?
Patricia McConnell EmptyTue May 18, 2010 2:35 pm by Kevin Behan

» over excitment
Patricia McConnell EmptyFri May 14, 2010 9:09 pm by Jamesp

» some piccies of my dogs
Patricia McConnell EmptyFri May 14, 2010 5:33 pm by Jamesp

» Hello....I love you.....
Patricia McConnell EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:39 pm by gbjoce

» Police find nine-year-old girl's stolen pet puppy... but say she can't have it back
Patricia McConnell EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:37 pm by gbjoce

» Achieving calmness at dinner time
Patricia McConnell EmptyThu May 06, 2010 9:55 pm by Jamesp

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Patricia McConnell

3 posters

Go down

Patricia McConnell Empty Patricia McConnell

Post by liz Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Thought i'd kick off this section with Patricia McConnell's blog on The concept formerly known as dominance for your viewing pleasure, see what you think.

http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/the-concept-formerly-described-as-dominance/
liz
liz

http://www.wolflookalike.com

Back to top Go down

Patricia McConnell Empty Re: Patricia McConnell

Post by wolfdog Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:32 pm

I have no problem with the article at all. Its a little simplistic when she differentiates between wild wolves and captive wolves. Yes the pressures are different but this often depends on resources available and other social conditions. Fights do occur, often resulting in death. Unfortunately nature often fails to give us such perfect examples as the explanation for natural hierarchies.

In dog training you could possibly describe the need for 'dominance' as a way of giving direction to the animal. Think how delinquent teenagers might find greater fulfilment by helping villagers in third world countries under direction of a supervisor: more than they would roaming the streets vandalising cars.

I have mentioned my discomfort with the the D word in another section on this forum. I know that by trying to dominate and being 'alpha' in the old sense will achieve nothing with my wolfdog; he does need to respect me and my decisions but I have to earn that respect. It is sadly a concept that many find offensive to their own egos.
wolfdog
wolfdog

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamesp Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:41 pm

wolfdog wrote:
In dog training you could possibly describe the need for 'dominance' as a way of giving direction to the animal. Think how delinquent teenagers might find greater fulfilment by helping villagers in third world countries under direction of a supervisor: more than they would roaming the streets vandalising cars.

I think a lot is all about having a purpose in life, as with people if dogs have a purpose in life then I believe you will see far better behaviours from both beings.
Jamesp
Jamesp
Admin

http://dog-behaviour.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfdog Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:56 pm

You will also remember my previous comment about a 'fluidity' within the hierarchies that we discussed. Once established a balanced group will give and take.

The trouble is people want a clear A, B, C, description of how things work and instructions on how to get what they want. This is what many popular dog trainers have given in the form of books etc. But it is also why it often does not work. does that make sense?
wolfdog
wolfdog

Back to top Go down

Post by liz Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Yes.
liz
liz

http://www.wolflookalike.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamesp Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:17 pm

wolfdog wrote:You will also remember my previous comment about a 'fluidity' within the hierarchies that we discussed. Once established a balanced group will give and take.

The trouble is people want a clear A, B, C, description of how things work and instructions on how to get what they want. This is what many popular dog trainers have given in the form of books etc. But it is also why it often does not work. does that make sense?

Yes, makes perfect sense, you can't have a manual as you would for a computer, TV, video etc, its amazing how many people think if they get a dog trainer or behaviourist that their dog will be 'fixed' much in the same way as getting a TV repaired....

People often say to me when for example I tell them they have a beta rank and explain what their 'job' is, then they will tell me that the dog done a few things that were not beta like in behaviour and they question and doubt what I told them......in future I need to get across more what you explained.......thanks a lot for making me think about that.
Jamesp
Jamesp
Admin

http://dog-behaviour.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum