Dog Behaviour
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Back online
A close shave! EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:47 pm by Jamesp

» Prey drive...help
A close shave! EmptyThu May 20, 2010 1:59 am by Kevin Behan

» Would appreciate your views on this
A close shave! EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:53 pm by Kevin Behan

» The prey takes control?
A close shave! EmptyTue May 18, 2010 2:35 pm by Kevin Behan

» over excitment
A close shave! EmptyFri May 14, 2010 9:09 pm by Jamesp

» some piccies of my dogs
A close shave! EmptyFri May 14, 2010 5:33 pm by Jamesp

» Hello....I love you.....
A close shave! EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:39 pm by gbjoce

» Police find nine-year-old girl's stolen pet puppy... but say she can't have it back
A close shave! EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:37 pm by gbjoce

» Achieving calmness at dinner time
A close shave! EmptyThu May 06, 2010 9:55 pm by Jamesp

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

A close shave!

Go down

A close shave! Empty A close shave!

Post by Jamesp Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Driving along a week or so ago to where I walk the dog on a busy main road with hedges and fields either side and a black lab appeared from the bushes and ran across the road, I had to brake sharply to avoid hitting it, there was nowhere to stop on the busy road so I drove half a mile to where I normally park.

A guy was there who I have helped him with his border terrier, I told him about the dog and said we should go looking for it....he agreed to join me.

I was hoping the dog would be in the field where I had saw it run across the road...it was....when we got to the field the dog spotted us and was about 100 yards away, not knowing at this stage if it was frightened I instructed we stand side on and give no eye contact and do not talk if the dog approaches, after a few mins the dog came over and sniffed us and the dogs, remaining silent and no eye contact I gently and slowly offered the back of my hand for the dog to sniff, which it did, as it did that I gently and slowly put a spare lead over its head which the lab was fine with.

We then went on a walk so the Lab could bond with us and the dogs, after a while I then inspected the lab and it had no name tag, I could see the Lab was female and my guess was she was quite young, a year or so old, my dog who is entire started to growl at her in a way he has only ever done before with bitches in season, so I guessed she was in or coming into her first season....

We walked around to try and find the owner but there was nobody about, so I was thinking the only choice would be take her to the vet and see if she had a micro chip, I can't explain why but something told me she was a farm dog, we have a dozen or so farms here in a 10 mile radius and I know most of the farm dogs and it wasn't any of theirs....there was one farm where I have heard a dog but never seen it, so thought it worth a stab it was theirs, got to the farm and shouted for the farmer and he appeared, as luck would have it, it was his dog, he told me she is 1 year old and not spayed and hadn't had a season yet as far as he knew, she had never got out before but he did tell me that his previous dog had escaped and been run over by a train chasing a pheasant across the rail tracks, so I am not confident that this will be her last escape!

Anyway he thanked me for bringing her back and we had a nice chat for 30 mins.....

My good deed for the day!....
Jamesp
Jamesp
Admin

http://dog-behaviour.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum